How to cover the Canucks without shooting myself

Some of you may know that I work as a news reporter in Vancouver... My shifts are evenings and weekends - prime timing for Canucks games. Unlike the sports reporters, I don't get to go to games and hear cliched answers from dreamy eyes Taylor Pyatt. During this playoff run, I get to talk to the fans. Not only do I have to go live from some sports bar every half hour all evening, I have to talk with Canucks fans at their worst. Drunken.

Part of me was happy to hear of the Canucks' sweep last night - otherwise this Friday night I would've spent my evening dealing with fans who would argue this is the best team hockey has ever seen. In 2006, every round the Oilers won, I expected it to be the last. Yet Canucks fans believe the cup is already en route.

I'll give the Canucks credit. It's a good *TEAM*. Before this round started I figured they'd do some damage in the playoffs. I don't want them to, and am praying for them to lose the next four as quickly as they swept through the the first round.

I don't want to go to another bar. I am trying to come up with ideas for how to cover a Canucks game from the fan perspective... I already did families/children. I wanted to pitch an idea where I search the city for the elusive St.Louis fan. Where should I go next?

Comments

Darren said…
How about an old folks home? A convent would be great, but I'm not sure there are any around Vancouver. A Coast Guard vessel?
SJ said…
Ah, you're such a good writer. Blog for my site at www.vancouverite.com.
DMFB said…
Heroin addicts on East Hastings. Obviously.
Colin! said…
why not see if you can interview people who are at work? I know i worked many an afternoon shift listening to the playoffs on the radio. Try some smaller warehouses or manufacturing plants. You'll find tons die hard ( and hopefully sober ) fans!
Anonymous said…
Take your idea and pitch the reverse... search the *away* city for the elusive Canucks fan :) Unless they end up playing Calgary. Flames fans are equally obnoxious.
Shannon said…
This is kinda lame, but what about at a college or university? Some students will still be in class or studying, and many are avid sports fans. It would be MUCH better than enduring inebriated Canuckleheads.
R-Gib said…
Just saw this:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2009/06/08/sp-atl-reasoner.html

Bad news for the Oil.
jenn said…
No new posts for over two months!! No mention of Stoll and Rachel Hunter breaking up, Roli leaving, and Dany Heatley being just not that into Edmonton. Very disappointing :(
Sharla said…
New post time!!!!!
Shannon said…
New post time for sure!! We need Hot Oil to balance those OilersNation guys :')

Popular Posts