#BarfOilers


I'm on twitter. I think my updates are over on the side there ->

When I saw the news of Mike Comrie's return to Edmonton, I found every funny tweet regarding the move and re-tweeted it with the tag, #BarfOilers.

Okay, I know the money is good. I know that he's probably done a lot of growing up since he left town. I know that on rare occasion, I carry a grudge. I'm looking at you, Jamie Langenbrunner.

I don't have a huge problem with Mike Comrie. That was eclipsed by the CFP incident. But what this indicates is a disconnect with management.

Bringing in Mighty Mouse doesn't move this team forward. It may prevent us from falling backwards due to the overwhelming lack of guys who can play centre. But that's not good enough. So, in the face of having a team that not just fails to make the playoffs but fails to compete, I feel we're just not gaining ground.

I feel like I should warn Hilary Duff (who I'm psyched to see on Gossip Girl this fall). Once you get the city on your side, we've got your back. But this is a town that doesn't forget. That Rich Boy on your arm, he hurt us last time around. 30 games, sitting out, and for what?

By all accounts, Duff was a fan favourite in Ottawa, where she made regular appearance watching games, often with regular fans, unlike Carrie Underwood who hid from the public.

I wish I could say the prodigal son has returned home to bring prosperity to the Oilers family. But I'm afraid he's just not enough. And his return shows the dire state this team is in.

Comments

Hockey Noob said…
Hey, Your blog's come back to life! I just recently started an Oilers blog: The Oilogosphere

Check it out if you like. Let me know if you want to exchange blog roll links too.

cheers,

Greg
Garnet said…
I can imagine the fans in Ottawa loved seeing someone even slightly famous. Edmontonians can relate; I remember fans (or, okay, the media) got pretty stirred up when Marius Czerkawski would get visited by his girlfriend Isabella Scorupco, alias The Most Forgettable Bond Girl.
hunter1909 said…
It highlights just how pathetic the franchise has become, but not only recently - say the past 18 straight seasons.

Popular Posts