Confessions of a lapsed Oilers fan


2022-23 was the first season where I didn't watch one full Oilers game. In fact, I didn't watch any other NHL games. Some of it is frustration about the management and how they haven't managed to build a better team around two of the best in the game. Some of it is frustration at a league that doesn't seem to want woke women as fans. Some of it is that my sports viewing energy has found a new home in English Premier League soccer and Liverpool Football Club. 

Like Alana posted, a lot of things have changed since was last on this blog. I'm now in my 40s, have moved across the country twice, ending up in Whitehorse, Yukon, and have a family - of two people and two dogs. Of course, one of those dogs is Lubo. Yes, named after the player who spent two partial seasons on the Oilers. I try not to google him too much, in case the man's real life behaviour ruins the name of this 13+ year old dog. (We once had a plan for dog #2 to be named Teemu - dodged a bullet on that one.)

My disconnect is a good thing. I can watch these playoffs and not worry when I miss a period or a game. At the end of the game, I can turn it off and get on with my day (or more often, night). Wins are still fun, but losing doesn't hurt as much. Mostly I'm happy to see all my loyal Oiler fan friends so happy. 

Edmonton will always be my hometown. My Oilers fandom will always be a part of me. It's just healthy that it's only a small part of me - a drop sized amount on the logo. 


Comments

Popular Posts